- International theater director, acting teacher, and writer in The Netherlands, the UK, Germany, France, Japan, Israël and the US.
- Performances have played at festivals in Holland, UK, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Japan and the US.
- Two performances were televised nationwide in Holland and Germany: Fear and Misery in the Third Reich, KRO-tv, 1983; and Flametti, Hessische Rundfunk/ARD.
- Developed a special acting style, called real-time theater.
- Wrote a book about this: Acting in real-time.
- Binnerts’ performances are characterized by a way of acting, which is at the same time “precise and nonchalant, complex and transparent”, as one critic put it: they look like improvisations, but in reality they are precisely choreographed. They are playful, inventive, full of (physical) images, and they have a strong musical quality.
- Internationally renowned expert on the ‘epic’ theater of Bertolt Brecht
- Artistic director and/or director of three theater groups: Schlicksupp teatertrupp Frankfurt am Main (1979-1985); Southern Comfort, Amsterdam, 1985; The Elephant Brigade, New York, 2007.
- Teaches acting and directing at theater schools in The Netherlands and the US, and conducts workshops in many countries. Inspired several generations of actors, directors and playwrights.
- Allein das Meer/The Same Sea, based on the novel by Amos Oz, was selected for the prestigious Theatertreffen Berlin in 2006. Black Box, also based on a novel by Amos Oz, was selected for the Bonn Biennale of New European Plays in 2000. Mephisto, based on the novel by Klaus Mann, was selected for the Dutch Theater Festival of most remarkable performances in 2006.
- Author of novels, short stories and publications on theater.
- New Book! ACTING IN REAL TIME, University of Michigan Press, Spring 2012
- German translation of ACTING IN REAL TIME, SCHIBRI Verlag, Berlin 2012/13
- New Play! A VERY (c) OLD CASE
- ATKA/Theatre School Amsterdam, May-June
- ITW/Tisch Drama Department NYU, Amsterdam, July-August